Nerve pain down right leg with itching. Started prednisone, history of fusion at L4/L5. Suggestions ?

I have nerve pain down my right leg. I have a history of a fusion at L4/L5 in 1999. I am pretty active and recently developed the pain which has crippled me. I am actively icing the area, stretching , electrical stim, massage and walking. I was started on a prednisone pack today. I do not want surgery but want to be better before October 5th when I begin hiking the Grand Canyon. Can you suggest anything else?
Asked On : Sat, 22 Sep 2012