Needle sensation right side of throat,loss of voice for 2-3 minutes,discomfort

At times, although not frequently, I will get a needle like sensation on the right side of my throat that causes severe discomfort for about 2 or 3 minutes, and results in loss of voice for about 2 or 3 minutes. I have thought about seeing a throat specialist to diagnose the problem. Any thoughts regarding cause of such a symptom? Also, I do not have to feel ill or be sick, i.e., cold/ flu etc. for this to occur. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Asked On : Tue, 3 Apr 2012