Need to know about the ovulation period. How to avoid pregnancy?

hi doc i am 28 year old,, want to know about the exact time when i will be ovuluting as i dont want to take any risk during that time,, also i heard about the 14 th day concept,, but how long/days around the 14th should i take precaution so as to avoid any sort of accident. my last period last between 11th-15th of jan 2013. thanks and waiting for ur guidance
Asked On : Mon, 28 Jan 2013
Allergist and Immunologist 's  Response
14 th day is ovulation period from last day of previous periods
a sperm introduced before 48 hours have tendency to fertilise egg
and eg has life of 48 hrs when it can be fertilised so roughly 2 days before and after are dangerous
avoid intercourse 12 thto 16 days or you may take one day extra to be sure