Need help in reading the Widal report. Do I have typhoid?

Hello Doctor,
My Widal test report is as below
Salmonella typhi O (TO) Reactive 1:80
Salmonella typhi H(TH) Reactive 1:80
Salmonella typhi A,H (AH) NonReactive
Salmonella typhi B,H (BH) NonReactive
Please describe report and let me know if it is typhide , and what should be prescription and advice for that.
Please reply ASAP.
Asked On : Sun, 7 Apr 2013

Your widal test report is negative (normal).All the titers are in normal range.

Widal test is done for diagnosis of typhoid fever or salmonella infection.

This test should be done between 7 -10 days of fever.It has no significance if test is performed in less than 7 days of fever.

The Widal test is positive if Typhi O antigen titer is more than 1:160 in an active infection, or if Typhi H antigen titer is more than 1:100 .

A single Widal test is of little clinical relevance due to the number of cross reacting infections, including malaria.
If no other tests are available, a fourfold increase in the titer (e.g., from 1:40 to 1:160) in the course of the infection, or a conversion from an IgM reaction to an IgG reaction of at least the same titer, would be consistent with a typhoid infection.

Hope you could understand the things better.

Wish you good health.

Pathologist and Microbiologist Dr. Shailja Puri 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,

The Widal test for salmonella typhi A and A and B antibodies for O and H antigens are significant only when the antibody titre is above 1: 160 in endemic country like India. Alternatively, a four fold increase in the antibody titre.

Thus, the Widal report for Salmonella typhi A and B is negative. You are not suffering from typhoid.

Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja P Wahal