Neck stiff and swollen after a hit, whiplash

I was in a rta two days ago and was hit from behind. I have had mild concusion on the first day. My neck is stiff and is swollen on the left side. I am not able to lift my head straight up and have to turn to lift myself side ways. I have been given a diagnosis of whiplash. I am due to fly to Ireland on the 14th of this month, which will be under two weeks from date of accident. Is it safe to fly?
Asked On : Sat, 7 Apr 2012
Anesthesiologist 's  Response
Thanks for writing in.

Neck injuries are common in accidents and not always reported. I suggest you consult a neurosurgeon and get examined for possible neck injury. The neck pain after an injury usually intensifies the next day, when the muscles get swollen and may go in to spasm. Your doctor may ask you to get cervical spine x rays and MRI scan if whiplash injury is suspected. If there is any significant injury, they may prescribe a neck collar for you. Please follow instructions given to you. Flying should to be a problem if the injury is mild. However significant injury cannot be ruled out without clinical examination and imaging. If you have numbness in finger tips then please inform your doctor about it. You may apply anti inflammatory medications and muscle relaxants.

Hope this helps