Neck pain near thyroid, occasional sharp pains, ultrasound in the past showed benign nodule, family history of cancer. Cause of concern?

I have had much pain in my neck on the right side where the thyroid is for several years. In 2010 my regular physician had me get an ultrasound of my thyroid. It showed a benign-appearing 5 mm isoechoic nodule in the right lobe of my thyroid and no other abnormalities. It was recommended that nothing else be done. The pain continues but is not constant. It comes on as flashes of intense pain. Always the same spot. There is much cancer in my family. Myself, all siblings and parents and grandparents. Brother died 04 esophageal cancer . Sister lung and colon cancer. Myself and father and grandmother colon cancer. Grandfather liver cancer . Should I have more done or be concerned in any way?
Asked On : Thu, 4 Oct 2012