Neck having a lot of hard knotted up bulges and sore muscles. Painful when rubbing them. What is the cause?

my neck has a lot of hard knotted up bulges and muscles that are perpetually sore and achey. they are so hard that i can barely feel the pain anymore when i rub them. there are also certain areas where when i rub them it makes my whole arm or parts of my back hurt. what s wrong with me? i was in a major car accident about ten months ago which did result in whip lash.
Asked On : Wed, 27 Jun 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I would suggest you to show it to a physiotherapist and learn neck muscle strengthening exercises, also you should not keep your neck in same position for long time as it may make your neck muscle fatigue. Also avoid using very high pillow . You can also take muscle relaxant like Myoril or Myospaz tablet for pain relief.Hot water fomentation is also good for you and so is Diclofenac ointment.