My wife have sitica problem in left leg. How to treat it ?

sir, My wife have sitica problem in left leg. pls advice what to do. i have discuss orthopedic doctor too but not getting the results.
Asked On : Tue, 26 Apr 2011
You have discussed or consulted orthopedic surgeon ? If your wife has got sciatica then she should go for X ray of lumber or lumbo sacral region and find out the cause of sciatica and then treatment can be carried out.
General & Family Physician Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware's  Response
Hi sandesh;
welcome to HealthcareMagic
Sciatica is pain in back of leg due to nerve root compression in lumbar or sacral spine region.Since you have consulted a Ortho Surgeon i guess he advised MRI to know the exact place of nerve root compression and the extent of it so that he can decide with the further treatment.She might be taking painkiller so along with that she can take multivitamins and some hot fomentation.If that does not help her then she may need to go in for traction which will be non surgical treatment and if the extent of nerve compression is more then the Ortho surgeon may even advise surgery but better first discuss non-surgical options she should get relief with even traction.