My toddler breaths badly while sleeping

my toddler breaths badly while sleeping
Asked On : Sat, 26 Feb 2011
Dentist 's  Response
Hi There,
Make sure you brush your child's teeth twice daily for 2 min each with an age appropriate tooth brush & paste. Make sure his tongue,gums & oral cavity are clean esp in the night. Get a dentist to checkout if any cavities have accumulating in the tooth crevices gives rise to bad breath. Also find out if your child is a mouth breather. Fluid intake of one & half liter is recommended.
Warm Saline Gargle after every meal is also a good idea.
Thanks & Take Care

Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul's  Response
it is rightly said in day time you brush for public and at night you brush for self. So make a habit of proper brush before going to bed and gargles with mouth wash and notice the result.
General & Family Physician Dr. Tina Jacob Das's  Response
thanks for trusting healthcare magic.Oral malodor/ halitosis can be due to various reasons, of which presence of bacterias in mouth could be one, even a nasal problem would lead to halitosis, for eg.. a sinus problem.Even dentition can cause a bad breath or tongue could be the culprit.Deeply grooved or furrowed tongues have more potential to accumulate the white coating than those with smoother surfaces. So make sure your toddler doesnt have any of these.And for most of them, oral hygiene is most imp.Rinsing with with good mouthwash,preferably at night time.