My son fell and hit his head on a chair & that caused a huge bump on the right side of his neck. What could be that ?

My son fell and hit his head on a chair at school, and now he woke up with a huge bump on the right side of his neck, what could that be ?
Asked On : Sat, 28 May 2011
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response
dont worry its just a bodies reaction to any injury.
whenever any injury occurs the muscle, ligament and small capillaries get injured and leak out blood and fluid which escapes and gets collected as swelling.
ice that area.
do neck movements to mobilise the fluids.

General & Family Physician Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani's  Response
Hi,thanks for query.When ever there is injury to any body part,body reacts to it and there is increase blood flow and chemical in that area.This leads to swelling and pain.Apply ice over that area and give him analgesic syrup/tablet for pain.I think he should be fine.In case of no response or some other problem please talk to your doctor.bye.
Dentist, Pedodontics Dr. Harleen Narula's  Response
I agree with Dr. Suhani Seth. This seems like muscle alignment issue.
General & Family Physician Dr. Vaishali Hebbar's  Response
welcome to healthcare magic ....
The bump would be 1)just fluid accumulation due to direct injury as a result of inflammation. 2) could be a collection of blood .
If he had vomitting or loss of conciousness after the fall , then he should get a CT scan done to look if there is any injury to his brain.
If no vomitting or loss of conciousness after the injury then - no need to worry the bumps would take a week or two to disappear.If you are really concerned and want to get it reduced faster can use serratiopeptidase tabs which reduces inflammatory swelling.