My right kneecap has been retaining fluid & it is very painful

My right kneecap has been retaining fluid for 3 weeks now and it is very painful, now over the last couple of days the pain not the fluid has traveled down the back of my leg. I also for about a year or more when I sleep at night my hips ache so bad that it wakes me and no matter what I take I cannot get comfortable. But my knee is my main concern for now because it is affecting my daily life, I have 2 children to care for and this has really slowed me down. Please, if you have any advice let me know because my primary doctor is brushing it off as muscle strains. Thanks for any advice !
Asked On : Wed, 7 Apr 2010