My periods are delayed. Should i be worried ?

im 20 yrs old and 37 days late for my period should i be worried
Asked On : Sun, 6 Feb 2011
hii Burlis,

You are 20 yrs old and your period is 37 days late from last.

If your period was regular in past then need not to be much worried.

Otherwise you may suffer from OLIGOMENORRHOEA and need to investigate properly.

It is defined as infrequent period and delay of several months in between and more common in pubertal girls.It is mostly due to inadequate maturation of H-P-O axis and inadequate hormonal stimulation.
The cycle are often anovulatory in first 1-2 yrs.Gradually full development of normal ovulatory cycle and it will not have any harmful effect in future fertility.

Other causes keep in mind:
1)Mental & physical stress like vigorous exercise
2)Anorexia nervosa-if wt less than 47kg,mens remain scanty.

So you need to do a USG and Thyroid function test if period is irregular or delaying more and consult to your gynaecologist.
Along with maintain a healthy diet,control wt and regular light exercise.

All the best.