My mouth is not opening due to chewing gutkha, please help

My mouth is not opening due to gutkha,pls. Help me to solve this problem & also perescribe me medicine to came out of this
Asked On : Wed, 30 Mar 2011
Dentist 's  Response
Please stop consuming Gutkha. Your condition is known as Oral Submucous Fibrosis. It is a common problem in chronic pan and gutkha chewers. Youcan consult a dentist who can determine the stage of the disease and the mouth opening. Possible treatment could include intralesional injection if corticosteroids, of surgical cutting of the fibres. Also new modalities of treatment could include prescription of lycopene which is a strong antioxidant. In the meantime you can start taking Vitamin C and zinc supplements usually available over the counter.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

5 users find this helpful

Psychiatrist Dr. Alok Ranjan's  Response
ANY TOBACCO PRODUCT MUST BE AVOIDED.GUTKA ETCCAUSES REPETATIVE INJURY TO MUCAL WALL OF MOUTH AND ITS INTIAL MANIFESTATION IS SARCODORIS WHICH MAY LEAD TO CANCER,STOP GUTKA ,PAN ETC AND TAKE PREDNISOLONE 10 MG TAB THRICE DAILY FOR NOT MORE THAN 2 DAYS ,IF PROBLEM PERSISTS CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN.

ANOTHER POSSIBLILITY MAY BE LOCK JAW ,MAINLY OCCURS AS MALORIGINATED LAST MOLAR TEETH ,KNOWN COMMANALY AS WISDOM TEETH.IN THAT CASE EXTRACTION BECOME NECESSARY

2 users find this helpful

Dentist Dr. E. Bharathikannan's  Response
Dr. E. Bharathikannan, Dentist      Dr. E. Bharathikannan, Dentist
hello rakesh,
FIRST STOP THE HABIT OF TAKING GUTKA. this may be trismus and prolonged use of gutka leads to inability to open mouth condition known as oral submucous fibrosis, your inner side of cheeks when felt with fingers it will be rubbery. you can help opening your mouth with a little excercise by keeping your fingers inbetween the teeth. first do with two fingers and day by day increase to 3, 4 fingers. injections are available so please visit a dentist. take care.

4 users find this helpful