My mother s ppbs is 144, normal range is upto 140. Is she diabetic ?

My mother s ppbs is 144, normal range is upto 140 - Is she diabetic? My mother is 50 year old and since last one year her weight has reduced very much. But she is active and can do all chores and except knee pain she didn t have any other complaint. When I saw her weight reducing then I asked her for blood test . Her fasting blood and urine report is normal while ppbs urine report is nil but blood report is 144. While normal range is something upto 140. So its slightly elevated. I am asking her to visit doctor but she is very money minded and stubborn lady. She says that its only slight elevation and in this age it keeps happening and I don t need doctor. I am so much worried about her. She don t have diabetes in her family history but my father had severe diabetes but now he is no more. Is it possible that this disease passed in her through my father and could it be later effect in her. I mean can spouse pass this disease and is it contagious? Because in her family her mother has thyroid but non has diabetes but my father s side everyone is diabetic. Also this slight elevation implies that she is diabetic or slight elavation just doesn t matter? Do she need medicines and should I convince her to go to doctor? Pls suggest. Also suggest that since both my parents has diabetes so what steps me and my siblings should take to avoid this disease in future.
Asked On : Sat, 24 Dec 2011