My mother has a sharp shooting pains in the knee after some exercise

My mother, in her 50 s, has sharp shooting pains in her knee , she can hardly move it. She also has a history of osteoarthritis , normally she doesn t have as much pain but over the past few hours the pain has become extreme, especially when touched and when the knee is moved. She has taken Ibuprofen for it, but normally that doesnt help the pain. This happened after some light exercise and i m worried that she may have damaged her knee during this exercise.
Asked On : Fri, 28 Jan 2011