My mom is 90 and she is going through the worst time of life

My mom is 90, w/ diabetes congestive heart failure . Is it time to stop all meds and let her die? She has little ability as far as being able to move, walk, talk like she used to and needs care 24/7 with everything. She s been in the hospital for the past 4 weeks and gets worse daily. She is on blood thinner, insulin, heart meds and other geriatric meds. She s hooked up to oxygen because she has trouble breathing; she panics. She has no pain (she says) but she is terribly uncomfortable, I think because her mind is still functioning at a congnitive level where she knows that something is seriously wrong this time around and knows that the inevitable is around the corner. My brother says we should take her off all medications, leaving her only on oxygen, because the quality of life she s experiencing now is almost non-existent. He is going to ask her if she wants off all meds. Is she at a point where she is coherent enough to answer this, or is my brother facilitating an early death? Should she have to suffer the way she s suffering now? I can t make this kind of decision.
Asked On : Fri, 11 Dec 2009