My mom has been having a hoarse voice. How is speech therapy for her ?

Hi, My mom is in her mid 50s. SHe has an artificial valve in her heart which was planted 15 years ago. She also had high blood sugar levels. Recently she has been having a hoarse voice without any apparent reason(like cold ,cough, sore throat ,swollen lips,tongue etc) The docyors in India diagnosed it as sticking of the vocal cords due to high blood sugar and have given her some medicines and recommended speech therapy . I would like to know your diagnosis on this situation. ALso, is there something more to it that I should be worried about?
Asked On : Thu, 18 Feb 2010