My heart was pounding for 30 minutes,should i be worried ?

Last night i wasn't doing anything physical and i was lying down to go to sleep when my heart started pounding. I could feel my heart beating in my chest and kinda in my neck. (which weirded me out) I didn't have any pain. but it lasted for about a half an hour. I also think my heart was beating irregularly for the half hour. My family also said that i looked kinda sick. Like my face was red. I don t believe there is any history of heart problems in my family and i m much to young to be having heart trouble. So what could this have been? should i be worried ?
Asked On : Mon, 14 Dec 2009
Sometimes, younger people can have an irregular heart rhythm called SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) which is a rapid beating of your heart - often over 150 beats a minute. It can also spontaneously resolve on it's own which yours did. Trouble is, if this is what has occurred, it might be possible you could have another episode of this again. Since you state you are younger, these episodes can be months or even years apart. When you need to seek medical attention is if they do not stop on their own,or they are starting to become more and more frequent. Then, a Holter Monitor (a portable cardiac monitor that you wear for a period of time) might be able to capture what this rhythm actually is and then you could be treated with the appropriate medications to prevent it from recurring. It could also be other heart dysrhythmias but without someone hooking you up to a cardiac monitor WHILE it is occurring, there is no way to tell what the rhythm disturbance is that you are having. And, stress, extreme fatigue, street drugs and caffeine can also bring on these rhythm disturbances. These rhythms cause no damage to your heart but if they occur frequently, they need to be managed by medications.