My heart beats weird sometimes ? Is it just normal or should i be worried ?

well ive been having this for years but it happends maybe once every month or so my hearts beats like really fast that i can just feel it with out putting my hand over my heart! its feels like my heart want to jump out of my chest or something! its weird but does this happend to anybody else out there? is it just normal or should i be worried? i dont drink coffee or smoke or drink alchohol or anything like that, im actually a healthy 23 yr old!
Asked On : Thu, 17 Dec 2009
Considering your age,its more likely to be palpitations which can be anxiety related,medicine related or due to excess of caffeine. It can also manifest with thyroid overactivity,which we call hyperthyroidism.The heart reacts to high levels of thyroid hormone with rapid beating, usually irregularly and may just remain for a few minutes or hours but can sometimes become persistant as well.This is Atrial Fibrillation/Atrial Flutter, which is quite a common condition but poorly picked up. I would advise you to ask your doctor to rule out any such 'organic' conditions before we conclude it to be anxiety/caffeine induced. Tests like Holter Monitor(24hr ECG monitoring tape), Event Recorder, ECHO of the heart and not to forget Thyroid function testing would be the way foward from here. Your doctor would be able to give you more insight into this.