My heart beats fast and it feels like its shifting. Is this called heart palpitation ?

I am an 18 yrd female and I need to ask a question about weird heart beats. I am 5 5 and weigh around 240 so yes, Im overweight , but sometimes Ill just be sitting down and all of a sudden, my heart beats fast and it feels like its shifting and that it wants to come out of my chest! Sometimes it feels like its coming upoi my throat! Its not painful, just scary and odd feeling! I dont know what to do! My doctor doesnt check me very well at all she thinks its all in my head!! Is this called heart palpitation ? I am scared! can I die ?
Asked On : Thu, 17 Dec 2009