My father has constant coughing for years. Suggest me a remedy

Consistent coughing/hacking in the morning and at night...clearing throat during the day/ My dad is 65 years old and has been hacking/coughing for years. It has gotten worse as he has gotten older. He claims it is just mucus, which he does spit out most times. He is consistently clearing his throat (during the day) and hacking in the morning and night. He used to smoke, but that has been 30 years or more since he quite. Does anyone know what this could be?
Asked On : Thu, 6 Jan 2011
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum

i read ur question is this is complete year or in some special season..

also remove constipation, it really give him little releiv...

all the best
  Anonymous's Response
The coughing/hacking is all year round. No constipation, maybe you misread. I'm just hoping this isn't something serious...