My daughter wants lip piercing

my 13 year old girl wants her lips pierced
Asked On : Mon, 7 Feb 2011
Dentist 's  Response
Lip piercing is more of a harm than aesthetic benefit. It can cause infection of the lip, swelling, abrasion of front teeth, sensitivity, Nerve damage atc. Kindly avoid lip piercing. You can go in for tooth jewellery instead which will give a aesthetic appearance.
Dentist Dr. E. Bharathikannan's  Response
it should be performed in asceptic contition in a sterlized way, and the one performs should know proper anatomy of your lips.. if not there is more possibility for infection and harm. take care
Dentist, Endodontics Dr. Manisha Rao's  Response
Hi, some of the complications related to lip piercing procedure are- infection,prolonged bleeding, swelling and possible nerve damage,transmission of blood borne diseases like Hepatitis, Syphilllis etc., and a risk of getting Endocarditis. So lip piercing is not advisable. Please make your daughter understand. Take care!