My daughter just told me she was sexually abused, What do I do ?

My daughter just told me she was sexually abused. What do I do? My daughter is 16. For the last while she has been acting strangely. My husband and I suspected depression and an eating disorder. She came home a few hours ago,she was drunk and she started to cry.We sat her down to see what was wrong with her. Then a pack of pills fell out of her pocket. I checked her pockets and found a various assortment of pills. She told us she was going to kill herself. I got very upset and asked her why she would want to die. Then she said You dont know what he did to me . Before we could get anymore information out of her she passed out. My husband and I were in the kitchen discussing it when her older brother came in and told us the whole story. She had confided in him a few weeks before that a family friend(who died recently) had abused her from when she was 6-12. She also told him that she self harms. This only happened a few hours ago and she is still asleep. How should I react and how can I help her?
Asked On : Fri, 23 Apr 2010

Helping her is very much important. What you need to do now is to take her to a psychotherapist or a clinical psychologist and get her counselled. This is very important to reduce her mental trauma and to educate her how to go about in future bearing with this. Also other things about the legal and the social issues also can be discussed with the therapist.