My daughter is suffering from regular nose block

My daughter aged 17 is suffering from regular nose block, which is terrible at night time. please help.
Asked On : Sat, 7 Nov 2009

By the age of 17, the growth of the skull bones reach their adult size and proportions. The anterior part of the nasal septum is made up of cartilage which has a better blood supply and hence usually grows faster than the surrounding bone. This causes the septum to bend in the restricted space and results in DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum).

However, DNS is common and is present in more than half the population. The DNS can cause changes in the turbinates (bones) situated on the side (lateral) walls of the nose which in turn blocks the openings of the sinuses.

There can be other causes of persistent nasal blockage like persistent Adenoid tissue, Vasomotor (Intrinsic) Rhinitis, Allergy. Fungal infection, Nasal Polyps and so on.

Decongestant drops should not be used for more than two weeks at a stretch as they have a rebound phenomenon which leads to addiction and causes Rhinitis Medicamentosa.

Steam inhalation is good.

Your daughter needs a more detailed examination to identify the exact cause of her suffering.

Anonymous's Response

Hi... I had DNS and i used to have regular nose blocks too and i know how terrible it is at night....  You can nasal drops at night times.  They help in decongestion and help breathe easily. Other option is steam inhalation...  Some times surgical remedies are also available.  You can consult a ENT specialist, if she too has DNS where surgery can be a life time cure.......