My FBS is 122 mg dl Am I a diabetic

My fasting blood sugar is 122 mg dl Am I a diabetic . hi i have a fasting blood glucose nearly 122 ,,what can i do ,,please help
Asked On : Sat, 24 Apr 2010
Hi, a single reading of FBS as 122 does not tag you as a diabetic. Repeat the test after at least 10 hours of fasting. Also you may take the glucose memory test ( glycosylated Heamoglobin level) for a getting an idea about your average blood glucose level over the last eight weeks which is a much better predictor in your case.

General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
Hello.Welcome to HCM forum.Whenever the fasting glucose is above 110 mg/dl and below 126 mg/dl it is called as Impaired Fasting Glucose(IFG).Such a person is potential diabetic in future.Lifestyle modifications like regular exercises,avoiding sugar and reduction of calorie and weight is advised in such cases.Normally medicines are not given in such cases.Thanks and good luck.
  Anonymous's Response

Hello, Normal level of sugar in blood before your meal is between 70 and 110 mg/dl. After food, level will rise in between 100 to 140. The increased level of Blood sugar above 140 mg/dl is considered to be the symptoms of diabetics. Low level of sugar, below 70 is also dangerous.

So keep checking it and if it alwasy remain so better give your doctor a visit. Bye

General & Family Physician Dr. Radhika Thyagaraju's  Response
hello, you need to do a fasting sugar after a fast of 12 hours.
If the levels are above 100 then you have impaired glucose tolerance.
After doing a lab report consult a diabetologist and get a complete check done. Then depending on the sugar valus the right treatmant can be started. I hope i have answered your query. Take care
  Anonymous's Response
what is fasting blood sugar to patient planned for cataract surgery, & what is the complication if FBS is high?

it is normal as our glucose level in our body fluctuates in a day so you need not worry .