My BP is 147/91, do I need to be concerned ?

Im 46 years old, and my blood pressure is 147/91, do I need to be concerned? what is the normal range before treatment?
Asked On : Fri, 11 Dec 2009
No, you have no need for concern. The averages for all the world population show that your systolic pressure is usually "100 plus your Age" - and you can't get much more average than yours, can you?....... It doesn't really matter about the diastolic (the lower one). You see, the B/P figures given by your doctor (or home monitor) aren't 'real' or 'true". By the simple laws of physics they CAN'T be. So, in spite of "received wisdom" your indicated figures are more a reflection of the state of your arteries than the pressures within them. And so, just like the colour of your hair, your eyes, the length of your arms, or shape of your knees, -or even inside leg measurements-, whether you're bald, or spotty, or handsome and dapper, these figure you read on your monitor are simply "YOU" - neither good, nor bad. Think about it... honestly, how on earth can the air pressure inside a bladder cuff wound round your arm tell the pressure within an artery!? Think of it as a fireman's hose pipe, and a truck going over it. - It all depends what the pipe is made of, yes? If it's cast-iron, or weak, elastic rubber, you'd get completely different pressures needed to stop the flow wouldn't you. - It's precisely the same with monitor cuff. On the other hand, CHANGES in indicated monitor pressures ARE pretty true. So if your B/P indicated readings suddenly change, then you should take those CHANGES seriously. However, you can safely ignore 90% of what you read on Answers. P.S. Edit ... Change that to 99.999% - see all the tosh above...