Muscular cramps under rib, pains. Have i pulled a muscle?

Hi, I get a muscular cramp under my left rib, normally when I bend over or sitting down on the sofa and stretching to the side. I first noticed it when I was pregnant with my second child and I was bending over the bath to wash my hair . Now I get it every now and then but when I do get it it is painful. Would you know if I have just pulled a muscle?
Asked On : Fri, 13 Apr 2012
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response
Hello, yes, it could be a muscle cramp. you can apply ice pack then do some breathing exercises. then apply some vapo coolant spray over that region . give some rest for about a minute or two. then particular segment or muscle can be stretched sustainably with 4-5 repetition. better if a physio give it. then again warm water fomentation can be applied. lastly that vapo coolant spray is applied again. continue this for 3-4 days and notice that the intensity of the pain is reducing. wish you a good health soon.
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer's  Response

Thanks for writing in.

It seems it is just a muscle pull. Since you are not suffering from shortness of breath or cough, there is nothing to worry. It can happen when there is some kind of stretch on that side or due to some minor electrolyte disturbances.

You can take calcium tablets 500mg once a day for 2-3 months, can apply some local ointment for relief of pain. Hot water fomentation might be helpful to you. Avoid doing any stretch that you think is causing the cramps.

Get well soon,