Muscle tenderness between breast and underarm, hurts on deep breathing. Cause?

Yesterday I reached into a dumpster that s about chest high trying to retrieve something using my left arm. The edge of the dumpster against my left chest hurt so I gave up. I might have stretched my arm too much too. I m not sure. Today it s still a bit tender. I usually do just a few minutes of limbering, stretching exercises in the morning after laying on a HomeMedics heating pad w/vibrators for some minor morning back soreness. So I may have irritated it a little. It s most tender between my left breast and underarm . It s not bad. I feel it mostly when I take a deep breath. I m trying to figure out if tore a muscle or pulled it out of place or bruised a rib so I know how to treat it. Thanks
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013
Feb 2016
Hi. Quite a common injury. If taking deep breath or coughing is increasing the pain , better to go for a x-ray. If local pain on pressure is not much, no difficulty in breathing hard or coughing, give a rest to the part. Keep the arm in a sling. Add on over the counter Brufen or diclofenac whichever suits you.