Muscle spasm on ribs, back. Removed synovial cyst. Diagnosed degenerative disc disease. Prevention?

I have had sever muscle spasms on top of the right rib cage off and on for several years, recently becoming much worse and occurring much more frequently. I also have sever back muscle spasms. I was diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease a long time ago (the spasms started well before that time) I also had back surgery to remove a synovial (sp) cyst. These spasms leave me with my right arm outstretched in the air as I wait for the spasm to "release" from my ribs. After that, because of the upward stretching movement, I have several back spasms in various areas of my back. What could be the cause and what can I do to prevent these spasms!
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013