Hi. Im sorry im not aware abt the nicotine
patches but i would suggest you to chew tthe nicorette
gum instead.. I tried with chewing the gum and i got the results.. this is how i followed
1) chew the gum slowly and stop when i get the tingly effects in my mouth and keep the gum between my teeth and the cheek.
2) postpone chewing of gum by 2 hours when compared to the prescription of chewing it at one gum/hour
3) look forward to chew the gum rather than smoking
3) You are not supposed to eat/drink anything for 15 min before or after chewing the gum. hence i used to drink tea/juice or eat something to postpone the gum craving
4) Most importantly didn't meet any friends who smoke, for 4 days. this is a very big criteria... Not meeting them for sometime let my mind to take of from smoking and now im back with them but i dont smoke with them.
5) When ever my friends were smoking i was thinking abt something else like the match i saw previous night or some movie and was lost in my own world only for 10 min and after few days i dont even get the urge to smoke when im with my friends
6) i read somewhere that nicotine craving lasts only for three days and later on it wades off. I remembered this everyday and gave a try to it and quit chewing gum... it worked out very well for me..
I hope that my plan has been of some use to you .. I wish you all the best :)