Multiple segmental abnormalities exist, aortic valve is sclerotic, trivial pericardial effusion, mild tricuspid regurgitation. Explain

I m trying to make sense of my echocardiogram report, would you assist me? The summary states: left ventricle estimated ejection fraction 40%, multiple segmental abnormalities exist, aortic valve is sclerotic, trivial pericardial effusion , mild tricuspid regurgitation, mild pulmonary regurgitation, midly enlarged right ventricle , global hypokinesis. The mid and distal lateral wall, entire anterior septum, basal lateral segment, mid septum segment, and basal septum are hypokinetic. The left atrial A/P dimension is 3.50 cm. no thrombus seen. The right atrium is normal. I m a 42 year old female Thanks
Asked On : Tue, 16 Oct 2012
Hello Mghtymth27 , it is very difficult to explain the entire echocardiography report to you but i will describe it in a nut shell to you. First of all the effective pumping capacity of your heart is 40 % which falls in the category of moderate systolic dysfunction ( normal range more than 55 % ) . The aortic valve shows age related degenerative changes. Tricuspid and pulmonary valve shows mild back flow of blood but not fatal this point of time. Much of the cardiac walls are contracting poorly and hence the term " hypokinetic " . Lastly your right ventricle , part of your right heart appears mildly enlarged secondary to back of blood via tricuspid valve and there is mild fluid collection between your heart and heart sac ( the pericardium ) . Your report complexly states that there are troubles in your heart and yet it is functioning pretty well till now which can further be improved either by adding certain medications or by removing the harmful causative factors . Please seek opinion from yous cardioogist .i hope i have been lucid in my approach . Take care