Muffled hearing and ringing due to a traumatic perforation of the ear drum

I was slapped in the ear 6 days ago. I have read that the muffled hearing and ringing is due to a traumatic perforation of the ear drum . No discharge if any at all. I can still hear but very muffled, and in a quiet setting there is still much ringing. Because I have read about the risk of infection, I have been keeping my ear dry. If I could afford it, I would go to the doctor . However, I am barely able to keep my bills paid. So, I was waiting to see if the ear may spontaneously heal. I understand that my hearing is very precious, so I was hoping that you could tell me signs that mean I absolutely have to go to the doctor. If I go now, I may not be able to afford it a second time if something goes wrong. Is there a chance that it could heal, or does the muffled hearing and ringing mean that surgery is inevitable. What I CAN T afford is to go to the doctor and hear, You have a perforated membrane... come back if... [what I need to hear from you because I absolutely can t afford to go twice] I know I have a perforation. How long is too long to wait or when should I see some signs of healing. What other symptoms would be an indicator to go back to the doctor a second time. Thanks for understanding my situation.
Asked On : Thu, 4 Aug 2011