Muffled ear after skydiving, no perforations, tried running, neck massage etc., no relief. Suggestions?

hi, i skydived a week ago, and im still having problems with my left ear, i have never had any such problems before and i have flown & dived many times in my 40 odd years, i have tried many different things to aid its return to normality (decongestants, running, neck massage, holding my nose and blowing etc) it feels like ive tried everything, but to no avail. Obviously i cant continue skydiving untill it has recovered, which is a real pain as im in the middle of a course, i have seen my GP but all he said was that they both look normal and no perforations, at times it feels like its rectified itself but then it seems to go back to being muffled and the full feeling, is there anything i could of overlooked as im pretty desperate to get it sorted out now???
Asked On : Sat, 20 Oct 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to health care magic,

It seems that your ears have got blocked due to effusion or other chronic cause which has to be investigated properly so that a more directed treatment can be instituted.

You need to do these:

1. get an ENT to examine your ears and drum with an otoscope

2. Get an audiometric assessment including PTA and impedance and get back to me or any ENT with the report

3. Start a course of anti histamine like levocetrizine in consultation with your doctor.

4. Of course you need to avoid high pressure situation like sky diving till you become better

5. You may also need to take a CT of the temporal bone and get back to me or any ENT with the report

Hope you get better

Dr Sriram nathan