Mucus stuck in throat, halitosis, taking Efexor, taken antibiotics

For several months I ve had this awful feeling of mucus stuck in my throat, but not my swallowing bottom part of the throat, the upper throat/ sinus area. I can pull hack suck cough or snort up these disgusting solid mucus lumps , like a chewed up bit of plastic, almost! They re very chewy if I chew them, they re not jelly like, they re almost solid. They re usually dark yellow/brown colour and the size of a pea at most, but usually flat and half pea sized. They taste metallic, of bitter blood. It can take a day of this sucking and coughing to finally get one out, and then I feel much better. It s REALLY difficult to make it come out, but I can feel it. I ve had two lots of antibiotics now, a week of amoxicillin , 2 weeks of tetracycline and two steroid inhalers - currently on mometasone furoate but previously beclometasone dipropionate . The M.F. spray seems to help SLIGHTLY but not much. It is not tonsil stones, but the feeling is similar to that kind of feeling when I ve previously had a tonsil stone. The antibiotics alleviate it but don t cure it. The doctor tells me these disgusting slabs of mucus are normal and it s normal for it to take days to cough them out. But I ve even shown them to people once I cough them out and they say they re not normal at all and it s disgusting and they ve never had it happen to them. Occasionally when it gets bad, like when I have a cold, I get such awful halitosis and it s so embarrassing. I m female, 24, 100lbs, on 375mg Efexor XR and previously suffered with anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa for the past 10 years. Currently I don t eat that much but seem okay and not eating disordered at present. All I can think all day is trying to cough it out until I can get relief from it. Once it s out I get maybe half a day to a day of relief before it comes back. Help!
Asked On : Sun, 2 Sep 2012