Mucus producing cough over a month. Taking steroids, not getting better. Recommendations?

My 17 year old son has had a chronic, mucus producing cough for over a month.
His pediatrician tried antibiotics and steroids. Nothing helps. Went to my sons regular
Allergist who said his lung function ahead significantly decreased. (He was ona. Low dose
Of maintenance inhaler Flovent ). Allergist put him on another course of steroids and
Changed his inhaler to Advair 2x/day. Five days later, my son is no better. He coughs
Constantly, day and night. What could be going on and what else is there to do?
Allergist thought my son would turn around pretty quickly with new treatment. Thank you!
Asked On : Thu, 10 Oct 2013