Mucocele under tongue, midline vein enlarged, recommended removal, nerve damage may affect speech, eating. Suggestions?

My 16 year old had what we believe to be a mucocele on the underside of his tongue which he attempted to pop with a pin several months ago- now the midline vein is extremely enlarged but isn t painful, it doesn t have a pulse . An oral surgeon recommended removal-I am concerned that nerve damage will affect him permanently as far as speech and eating. Why can t we just leave it alone?
Asked On : Thu, 8 Nov 2012