Movable lump on knee cap, sore to touch, redness, swelling. Wearing knee brace helps. Permanent cure?

for the past year I have had a tiny lump on my left kneecap, on top on the inner side. It moves if I put my finger on it but is sore to touch. if I stand for too long my knee cap turns red and becomes swollen. if I walk around to go shopping for a couple hours my whole knee starts to hurt. lately my knee hurts when I try to workout and is sore most of the time. if I wear a brace my knee feels better.
Asked On : Sun, 13 Jan 2013