Mole on aerola, hard, painful, bleeding, dark color. Concerned?

Am a 60 yr old male in otherwise excellent health. Have a small mole-like growth on edge of one areola. It is hard to touch, like a small grain of sand. painful if rubbed. small amount of bleeding (very small) when irritated. does not feel like anything deep (ex. a lump); more a hard pimple (but is not a pimple or blackhead). No hair or follicle that I can see either. Color is slightly darker than my areola which is a light tan/brown. I don't know how long it's been there, but I became concious of it about a week ago when it was irritated by the rubbing of it when I was soaping it in shower. I have not noticed any growth since I became aware of it, but then, it's only been a week or so. Should I be concerned, follow up with my MD (I had my annual physical several months ago, and this was not an issue then).
Asked On : Tue, 30 Apr 2013