Mitral valve non-functional, fluid build up around lungs, drainage, diabetes , copd , over wieight, high blood pressure, had quadrupal bypass surgey. fix?

my father is 80 years old was admited to the hospital as he was swelling up. he had put on 20lbs of fluid. they drained 1.5 liters from around each lung and he is on a lasics (sp) drip to reduce th fluid. an esophogeal echocardiogrma was done today and the cardioogist said his mitral valve is non funcitonal he indicated that this was what was causing the fluid to build up. they are deciding tomorow if he is a cnadidite for surgery. he has diabetes , copd , is over wieight, high blood pressure. he had a qudrupal bypass 15 years ago. if the vlave is not working at all is it even possible inhis health situation to fix it and how could the valve be causing the fluid to build up
Asked On : Mon, 11 Jun 2012