Missed periods, light spotting, negative pregnancy test, taking synthroid. What could be wrong?

hi i m 42 and have been taking synthroid since the last 8 yrs, my dosage was recently(last august) increased from 75mcg to 100 mcgs. i have missed my periods this time ( im 7 days late) and its never happened except the 3 times i was pregnant.iIve just been spotting that too very light and I ve already had a pregnancy test and its come out negative.What can be possibly wrong?
Asked On : Thu, 31 Jan 2013
You are 44 years, taking Synthroid,you had delayed period by 7 days &
it was very scanty.There can be various possibilities-
- Hypothyroidism it self causes menstrual problems.
- After 40 the menses become irregular as pre menopausal symptom.
-If you are not using any contraception, may be you have nonviable
please don't worry, pelvic sonagraphy should clear the picture. A
Gynaecologist's consultation is ideal at this stage of life.