Missed periods, followed by heavy periods. USG shows small fibroid, bulky uterus. Treatment?

I am 40 with a 7 yr old child. I had had painful periods with normal bleeding for about 6 months(Nov2011- April 2012). I missed my periods in May. Preg test showed negative. June, July - I had very heavy periods. USG shows that there is a small fibroid , retroverted, mildly bulky uterus . Endometric echo (8mm) thick and is in midline. ovaries are normal.Doctor found the uterus soft. he has put me on Regesterone. What has happened to me?
Asked On : Sat, 21 Jul 2012