Mild disc bulge in lower spine, pain in right hip. MRI done, wants to do ultrasound. What is free fluid?

I had a MRI done because I was having pain, what appeared to be in my right hip but seemed to move to different places on my right side. I got the results today and it was discovered that I have a mild disk bulge in my lower spine. The MRI also revealed that I have Free Fluid in my abdominal area and the doctor wants me to have an abdominal pelvis ultural sound. My question is, What is free fluid?
Asked On : Sat, 16 Jun 2012