Mild brain contusion, severe whiplash after car accident. Ear having yellow sticky discharge. Normal?

Hello. My mom was involved in an awful car accident this past Wednesday, February 6. She was stopped at a red light on a highway where the speed limit is 55 mph. An old man approaching the intersection behind her did not see her or the red light and slammed into the back of her car at full speed. The trauma Dr. at the emergency room diagnosed her with a mild brain contusion and severe whiplash. Just today her right ear has started expelling a sticky yellow/brown substance that is crusting over pretty quickly. Is this something that needs to be dealt with immediately? She has a Dr. appointment at 11:40 in the morning, but I wanted to make sure that this isn t a more urgent matter. Is it normal to have such a discharge with a head injury? She does not usually have an excess of ear drainage whatsoever.
Asked On : Wed, 13 Feb 2013