Migraines diagnosed, swollen face, temple pain, numb, tingly, dizziness, on birth control. Stroke?

I have seen a neurologist and been diagnosed with migraines. It is always on the left side of my head. Recently, I had such a severe migraine attack I actually had to visit my local urgent care for a pain injection after my abortive medication failed to work. I noticed the next morning that the left side of my face was swollen. It has slowly since gone down. But last night I started to feel a sharp stabbing pain in my left temple, something I've never felt before that lasted for a couple of hours. It was causing the left side of my face to go somewhat numb and tingly and caused some dizziness. Someone suggested to me it might have been a stroke. I also take birth control and am somewhat concerned about being at higher risk of having a stroke. What could this have been?
Asked On : Wed, 16 Oct 2013