Midal pain in knee,cracking and popping, feels weak. What to do ?

im having midal pain in my knee , it has been cracking and popping for a long time (20 years). I notice now if it pops when im standing by a slight twist it feels better for a very short time (30 minutes maybe). I also notice that i walk a brisk pace. it feel like a over extended joint . It is very strong on going up hill, but going down hill it feel weak. , I am 50 years old but extremely fit, 195 lbs and 6.1. Im doing a wilderness trip in a month
Asked On : Tue, 27 Nov 2012