Metformin prescribed for diabetes. Can I stop the medication if my sugar levels are normal?

hi i am ravi recently been diagnosed as type II diabetic. the doctor suggested me to use metformin one 500mg tablet daily. presently I am taking metformin one tablet daily along waith B-complex cap. I am checking my blood sugar levels every month which are showing very normal even HbA1C test also I got normal. I am doing exercise and controling the diet . I heard that taking of metformin one tablet daily is not show any effective to control sugars. should I stop the taking of metformin now or I have to continue. I want to control my sugar levels without taking medicine by doing exercise and controling the diet, is it possible
Asked On : Sun, 2 Dec 2012