Metal wire went through hand, numbness in fingers, unable to make a fist. Will surgery fix nerve damage?

A metal wire went all the way through my hand a few weeks ago, breaking it in 3 places. The hospital wrapped it with a soft bandage and provided a sling and antibiotics . My regular doctor has looked at the hand and is trying to get me in with a specialist. I have numbness in many of my fingers and cannot close my hand. Do you think that surgery will be an option to fix the possible major nerve damage? Unfortunately, I do not have insurance.
Asked On : Sun, 9 Dec 2012