Meniscus tear and chrondral debridement repaired through arthroscopy. Does he have to go for a knee replacement?

My husband had a arthroscopy a few weeks ago, the surgeon repaired the tear in the meniscus and chrondral debridement . He went back two weeks later for his checkup and the surgeon showed him the pictures of his knee . It was discovered that he has a large crater in the knee cap from two previous injuries which has worn through the cartilidge causing the bones to be rubbing. What are the requirements for him to get a new knee? He was given permanent restrictions that he is not allowed to do ever again.. we are a little concerned with this as he is only 52. Do you have any suggestions if we should be obtaining a second opinion?? Thank you.
Asked On : Mon, 4 Feb 2013