Melted plastic spoon in the microwave along with salmon. Stomach discomfort after eating food. Caused by vapours?

Hello. I accidentally melted a plastic measuring spoon in the oven while cooking my salmon. The spoon had a magnetic component so I didn t see it stuck to the side of the pan. I smelled something and couldn t figure out what it was until my salmon was done. Not thinking I threw out the spoon and served the salmon. The salmon was wrapped in foil so I thought it was safe. It wasn t until later when my husband complained of stomach discomfort that I wondered about the vapors. Could they have seeped in through the foil? Are we in danger of getting sick from breathing the air or from possiy ingesting the vapors through the salmon?
Asked On : Fri, 1 Feb 2013
Hello there
The stomach discomfort could be from undercooked salmon or may be because of ingestion of plastic vapors.Was the fish cooked properly ? or you just took it out uncooked once you smelled the plastic fumes?
It depends on what kind of plastic material was your spoon made of. I don't think the vapors could have gone through the foil.
But still the cause needs to be ruled out .
You did not mention who else ate the salmon other than your husband.If its due to the vapors of burnt plastic others who ate the same fish can also have stomach discomfort, What about you,? didnt you eat the fish?
If no one else is sick after eating the fish, then your husband must have had preexisting stomach upset which just triggered by the fish.
Go to your family physician and get your husband examined.If the problem is due to the plastic vapors he needs symptomatic treatment.