Meftal spas drug for fever

can we use meftal spas is antibiotic for fever?
Asked On : Fri, 18 Feb 2011
Dear Dr. my son age 9 years old got fever (38.5 c) and I consulted a Dr. Dr gave some medicine. the second day evening also the fever is same and I called that Dr. He asked me to buy and give 1/2 of Meftal 50mg. can I give this with that medicine wich that Dr gave. paracitamol, ranoxyl 250,......
Thank you.
General & Family Physician Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani's  Response
thanks for choosing health care magic.Meftal spas is not an antibiotic.It is an analgesic antispasmodic drug that is used primarily for pain in abdomen and other colic.It may help in fever as mefenemic acid one of the content in drug has got anti pyre tic effect.